Wednesday, December 2, 2020
09:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Remote Access Workshop
Commissioner Karen Douglas, the California Energy Commission (CEC) lead commissioner for powerplant licensing, will host a remote-access workshop to explore potential technology options for increasing the efficiency and flexibility of the existing natural gas powerplant fleet to help meet near-term electric system reliability and the longer-term transition to renewable and zero-carbon resources. A quorum of CEC commissioners may participate, but no votes will be taken. Commissioners from the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) may also attend.
The workshop will be held remotely, consistent with Executive Orders N-25-20 and N-29-20 and the recommendations from the California Department of Public Health to encourage physical distancing to slow the spread of COVID-19. The public will be able to participate in the workshop consistent with the direction in these Executive Orders. There will be opportunities for public comment. Instructions for remote participation via Zoom are below.
Morning Session: Technology Improvements and Process Modifications
The first session of the workshop will include two panel discussions that focus on incremental technology options that can improve the efficiency and flexibility of California’s existing natural gas powerplant fleet for electric system reliability and resiliency.
- Panel 1: The first panel will discuss various incremental technology improvements that could be made to existing powerplants, and the benefits and costs of these incremental technology improvements. The panel will include powerplant owners and operators, utilities, and equipment manufacturers.
- Panel 2: The second panel will discuss opportunities, challenges, and process modifications that may be needed to realize the incremental technology improvements discussed during Panel 1. The panel will include representatives from local air districts, independent energy producers, the California Independent System Operator (CAISO), and the CEC.
Afternoon Session: Finance and Governance
- Panel 3: will explore how the incremental improvements identified in earlier panels could be procured, assuming that the improvements are cost-effective compared to other potential generation or demand reduction alternatives. The panel will include representatives from the CPUC, investor-owned utilities, community choice aggregators, and the Disadvantaged Communities Advisory Group, providing their perspectives on the opportunities and challenges to invest in the identified technology improvements. This panel will also explore the feasibility of different procurement options given the near-term timeframes under consideration and whether and how this procurement should occur.
Notice and Agenda
- Notice of Lead Commissioner Workshop on Incremental Efficiency Improvements to The Natural Gas Powerplant Fleet for Electric System Reliability and Resiliency
- Morning Session - Technology Improvements and Process Modifications – Lead Commissioner Workshop on Incremental Efficiency Improvements to The Natural Gas Powerplant Fleet for Electric System Reliability and Resiliency Presentation
- Afternoon Session - Finance – Lead Commissioner Workshop on Incremental Efficiency Improvements to The Natural Gas Powerplant Fleet for Electric System Reliability and Resiliency Presentation
The meeting may be accessed by clicking the Zoom link below or Zoom, https://join.zoom.us, by entering the Meeting ID and password for the workshop sessions listed below. If you experience difficulties joining, you may contact Zoom at (888) 799-9666 ext. 2, or the Public Advisor’s Office via email or phone.
Join December 2, 2020, 9:00 a.m. Workshop – Morning Session.
Webinar ID: 927 7901 5365. The meeting password is 053599.
Join December 2, 2020, 1:30 p.m. Workshop – Afternoon Session.
Webinar ID: 937 8126 7870. The meeting password is 296858
Use the “raise hand feature” to indicate you want to speak and the event facilitator will indicate when your line is open and ready for you to make comment.
To Participate by Telephone Only:
To participate by telephone, dial US: +1 669 219 2599 or 877 853 5257 (Toll Free). When prompted, enter the Meeting ID: Morning Session - 927 7901 5365 and Afternoon Session - 937 8126 7870. To comment, dial *9 to “raise your hand” and *6 to mute/unmute your phone line.