NEW for 2023
Starting this year, you must add a benchmarking reference number (BRN) to your report. Use the building's address to look up the BRN. For more information, visit the benchmarking frequently asked questions section "Do I Need a Building Identification Number From The Energy Commission to Report My Building?"
The Energy Commission is contacting building owners who have not reported energy usage in previous years. Visit the Resources section of this page for information on how to report. To report your building, visit Report Benchmarking Data.
Disclosable buildings are those with more than 50,000 square feet of gross floor area. Owners of commercial buildings with more than 50,000 square feet and no residential utility accounts must report annually starting June 1, 2018. Owners of multifamily residential buildings with more 50,000 square feet and 17 or more utility accounts must report annually starting June 1, 2019.
Reporting is due every year by June 1 for buildings with no residential utility accounts and buildings with 17 or more residential utility accounts. Information for buildings with no residential utility accounts and buildings with 17 or more residential accounts is scheduled to be posted after June 1. Comparative information on the performance of each building will be posted during the second reporting year for each group.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Commercial Fact Sheet
- Commercial Checklist
- Multifamily Fact Sheet
- Multifamily Checklist
- Video: How to add energy use data for a building - YouTube
- Video: How to submit a benchmarking report - YouTube
- Information from ENERGY STAR on how to use Portfolio Manager
- Portfolio Manager 101: Set up properties and meters, generate reports
- Benchmarking Guide: How to Comply with the City of Los Angeles Existing Buildings Energy and Water Efficiency Ordinance - PDF
- Benchmarking Information from Pacific Gas and Electric Company
- Benchmarking Information from Sacramento Municipal Utility District
- Benchmarking Information from San Diego Gas & Electric Company
- Benchmarking Information from Southern California Edison
- Benchmarking Information from Southern California Gas Company