The 2019 Building Energy Efficiency Standards (Energy Code) includes prescriptive requirements to install solar photovoltaic (PV) systems as a part of newly constructed low-rise residential buildings. As part of the PV requirement, builders must verify and document the shading conditions of the installed PV system as specified in Joint Appendix JA11.4. In particular, JA11.4(a) specifies that the verification must be done using a solar assessment tool that is approved by the executive director.
Approved Solar Assessment Tools
The following solar assessment tool has been approved by CEC for use as specified in JA11.4(a)
- Aurora Solar Inc. - Website
- Helioscope - Website
- Scanifly - Website
- Solar Pathfinder - Website
- Solmetric Suneye - Website
- Sunrun Lightmile - Website
CF2R Solar Access Verification
The CF2R-PVB-01-E, Certificate of Installation for Photovoltaic system requires a solar assessment report completed by an CEC approved solar assessment tool listed above. In addition, one of the following conditions must be met:
- The satellite, drone or other digital image used in the solar assessment report must be created and dated after the installation of the photovoltaic system.
- If the satellite, drone or other digital image used in the solar assessment report is dated before the installation of the photovoltaic system, additional on-site pictures must be attached to clearly show that the installed system matches the system modeled in the solar assessment report.