The Benefits of Clean Energy Research
The deadly and destructive fires of the past few years along with the findings from the California Fourth Climate Change Assessment highlight some of the impacts California can expect if greenhouse gas emissions are not drastically reduced.
To help meet the state’s climate goals, new clean energy solutions are developed and commercialized to decarbonize the electricity sector. The EPIC program invests more than $130 million annually. EPIC-funded research is helping to:
- Expand the use of renewable energy.
- Build a safe and resilient electricity system.
- Advance electric technologies for buildings, businesses, and transportation.
- Enable a more decentralized electric grid.
- Improve the affordability, health, and comfort of California’s communities.
- Support California’s local economies and businesses.
Broader Participation Equals Greater Innovation
The Energy Commission is committed to increasing diversity in the energy sector, and women-owned, minority, disabled veteran, and LGBTQ business enterprises are encouraged to apply for funding opportunities.
The Energy Commission is also committed to ensuring all Californians benefit from clean energy research. It has minimum funding allocations of 25 percent of EPIC technology demonstration and deployment investments to sites located in, and benefiting, disadvantaged communities and an additional minimum 10 percent to sites located in, and benefiting, low-income communities.
Visit the links below to learn more about the EPIC program.
The EPIC program, which the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) established in 2012, supports public interest investments in clean energy research.
Ratepayers from the state’s three largest investor-owned utilities – Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E), Southern California Edison (SCE), and San Diego Gas and Electric (SDG&E) – fund the program.
The Energy Commission manages 80 percent of the program, with PG&E, SCE, and SDG&E administering the remainder.
- CalSEED - Provides small grant funding for entrepreneurs and researchers
- Funding Opportunities for Energy Research & Development
- Intro to R&D Funding Opportunities - YouTube
- Introduction to Research Funding - PDF
- How to Apply for EPIC Grant Funding Opportunities - PDF