The Natural Gas Research Program invests $20 million a year to support projects that:
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions from natural gas sources through increased efficiency.
- Reduce vulnerabilities and fugitive methane emissions in natural gas infrastructure.
- Drive customer adoption of energy-efficient and low-carbon technology solutions for natural gas end uses.
- Increase the cost-competitiveness of renewable gas.
- Minimize air quality impacts from natural gas use to zero or near-zero levels.
- Capture and use biogas.
- Develop renewable gas use as an alternative to diesel in medium- and heavy-duty vehicles.
- Advance natural gas pipeline and infrastructure safety.
Broader Participation Equals Greater Innovation
The Energy Commission is committed to increasing diversity in the energy sector, and women-owned, minority, disabled veteran, and LGBTQ business enterprises are encouraged to apply for funding opportunities. The Energy Commission is also committed to ensuring all Californians can benefit from its natural gas research.
To learn more about the program, or to subscribe to the list serve, explore the links below.