Survey project participants include California’s investor-owned utilities, such as Southern California Edison, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, Southern California Gas, and San Diego Gas & Electric, and the publicly owned utilities, such as the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power and the Sacramento Municipal Utility District. The Energy Commission has hired ADM Associates Inc., to conduct the data collection.
The 2018-2022 CEUS was completed in June 2022. The project was severely impacted by the pandemic causing delays in all aspects of the project including the final quality control and posting of the survey data. Tableau dashboards summarizing the CEUS data will be released gradually as the quality control and internal approval processes are completed (please check this website for updates on when the data will be available).
- Accurately characterize building economic activity and assess North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code misclassification in utility billing system data.
- Calculate end-use fuel saturations at the forecasting zone level by building type.
- Calculate robust commercial floor space estimates at the forecasting zone level by building type.
- Calculate annual whole-building energy use estimates at the forecasting zone level by building type.
- Calculate annual whole-building hourly load profiles at the forecasting zone level by building type.
- Incorporate advanced metering infrastructure (AMI) electricity consumption data into forecasting model input development.
- Evaluate the potential for oversampling new construction to allow calculation of statistically significant population estimates of the most recent building stock vintage.
- Examine the potential for purchasing commercial real estate data for use in forecasting and demand analysis.
The focus is to collect limited information on a few key variables from as many sites as possible to provide better statistical precision of population estimates. The Energy Commission has hired ADM Associates, Inc. to conduct the data collection. ADM Associates, Inc. will be collecting on-site data for a sample of 27,000 commercial buildings.
The information is gathered from on-site visits of selected commercial businesses. Project participants are randomly selected by utility service area, climate region, building type, and energy consumption level.