Funding for this program is no longer available as the program has ended; projects are in the construction and reporting phase. Interested parties are encouraged to SUBSCRIBE to the list serve to receive information on future programs as they may become available.
First Reminder: Annual Progress Reports due Sept 30, 2020
Local educational agencies are mandated to report to the California Energy Commission. Prop 39 K-12 Progress annual report templates will be available on July 1, 2020, through the California Energy Expenditure Plan Online Reporting System. Reports must be submitted for each approved energy expenditure plan until all eligible energy measures are completed.
The annual progress report covers activities that occurred in the previous fiscal year (July 1, 2019-June 30, 2020).
September 30, 2020,is the last day to submit annual progress reports to the Energy Commission.
Instructions, training videos, and PowerPoint presentations are available on the Proposition 39 K-12 program webpage California Clean Energy Jobs Act K-12 Program - Prop 39.
Questions may be directed to Prop39@energy.ca.gov or the Proposition 39 K-12 Hotline, toll free at 855-380-8722, or for those out of state at (916) 653-0400.
Proposition 39 Program Deadlines
On May 13, 2020, the California Energy Commission approved an extension of the California Clean Energy Jobs Act K-12 Program (Proposition 39) deadlines in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Final project completion date by one year to June 30, 2021
Final project completion reports date by one year to June 30, 2022
See proposed guidelines at the "More Information" link below.
- Bright Schools Program
All public K-12 school districts are eligible for technical assistance.
- School Bus Replacement Program
Funds the replacement of old diesel school buses in disadvantaged and low-income communities throughout the state.
- Energy Conservation Assistance Act – Zero-Interest Loans for Schools
Zero-interest loans to public schools, colleges, and universities for energy efficiency projects.
- Citizens Oversight Board
- 2018-2019, Proposition 39 Progress Report to the Citizens Oversight Board
- 2017-2018, Proposition 39 Progress Report to the Citizens Oversight Board
- 2016-2017, Proposition 39 Progress Report to the Citizens Oversight Board
- 2015-2016, Proposition 39 Progress Report to the Citizens Oversight Board
- 2013-2015, Proposition 39 Progress Report to the Citizens Oversight Board
- Final Guidelines - Proposition 39: California Clean Energy Jobs Act -2020 Program Implementation Guideline - PDF
- Summary of Changes - 2020 Summary of Substantive Changes - PDF
Prop 39 K-12 Program Success
The Clean Energy Jobs Act (Proposition 39) K-12 Program allocated more than $1.5 billion over five years to schools across the state to improve facilities and help lower energy bills. Upgrades include switching to LED lighting, replacing inefficient air-conditioning and heating units, and installing solar panels.
Read more success stories on the California Energy Commission's blog.