The purpose of this solicitation is to fund energy efficiency research to advance high-performance windows in existing commercial buildings and reduce air and energy leakage in existing residential wood-burning and gas fireplaces. California’s existing building stock includes almost 14 million single family and multi-family units and nearly 7.5 billion square feet of commercial building space. The U.S. Department of Energy estimates that 40 percent of current commercial buildings and over 60 percent of current residential buildings will still exist in 2050. Although California’s Energy Code (Title 24, Part 6) requirements increase efficiency over time, existing building stock can be very leaky and inefficient, especially older buildings built prior to the energy code. Addressing envelope retrofits in existing buildings to improve energy efficiency results in greenhouse gas (GHG) reductions and is necessary to help California meet its decarbonization goals. The goal of this solicitation is to reduce GHG emissions by reducing energy use for heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC).
This solicitation has two funding groups:
- Group 1: High-Performance Window Retrofits for Commercial Buildings.
- Group 2: Strategies to Reduce Fireplace Air Leaks in Residential Buildings.
The new Deadline to Submit Applications is December 9, 2022 by 11:59 p.m.
- Pre-Application Workshop Presentation (See Event Page)
- Pre-Application Workshop Attendee List (See Solicitation Files)
- Pre-Application Workshop Event Recording (See Event Page)
- Questions and Answers (See Solicitation Files)
- Addendum 1 (See Solicitation Files)
- Second Round - Questions and Answers (See Solicitation Files)